Tuesday, July 18, 2006

i think about it and what went wrong

Today i found some old tapes. One of them was an oldie of Bryan Adams'. On the way to kickboxing i cranked up the volume and reminisced.

I used to listen to this tape over and over and over again when I was about 14. For very specific reasons. Listening to the song 'Summer of '69' made me think about the summer of 98 and all it changed in me.

These are difficult memories for me. They werent the best days of my life, even though i kinda thought they were.

"I think about you and what went wrong." (summer of 69)

I've lived alot of my life in light of those days. Of the Bryan Adams days and the wishful ideologies of 'everything i do I do it for you.'

And yet despite the trauma God was birthing in me something new that year. A hunger for him and his word. I read Romans with a commentry and disovered the joy of theology and how learning things about God made me love him more and desire to serve him.

That's the nature of a year, and thats the nature of an album I guess. Bryan Adams has those passionate love songs that inspire confidence but also the searing, cutting ones.

I rarely talk about that year and i certainly have never blogged it. Even now, Ive not said much. But it's helped. thanks.

1 Comments:

At 1:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

ah the summer of 98... the first time someone rebuked me and then persevered with me... my first experience of world mission in poland... my first birthday as a christian... the summer that ended with my first visit to Forum (Dick Dowsett on Acts!) and the discovery of what UCCF is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home