Wednesday, January 25, 2006

grace...hmmm....

I reckon grace has to be one of the most talked about issues on Christian blogs. And why not? Hoorah for grace. But recently I've been thinking about it alot and how it seems to be the hardest thing to convey to a non-Christian and the hardest thing to express the reality of in my own life.

So take the non-Christian. Last night I got chatting to someone on my course in the student union about the gospel. It was long and exciting but so damn frustrating. The popular misconception of Christianity is always that we're bound by rules ands regulations and that we're so similar to other religions that why can't we all just agree and live together. And it's funny becuase no mater how many ways I explained grace and freedom and the heart of the Christian message he just couldn't grasp that Christianity isn't about constraints.

I guess that's human pride. We have to feel we add something and grace is just too radical, polar opposite to the way our society works. And it's just so hard to grasp.

And then in my own life. I totally understand that grace frees me from guilt to live a life by the power of the spirit and no longer under law. I can stand firm in grace and my old nature is crucified. My struggles with sin and my pursuit of holiness is done under the banner of grace that ensures I am forgiven still. And yet, do I reall know this? How often I slip into endless cycles of guilt and burden for all the things I'm not doing well enough, especially when it comes ot Christian service in the CU or my church. how often I find myself annoyed with myself and despairing of my sin. How often I put 'constraints' on myself and try to work myself to a position of greater holiness and godliness. When actually all I need do is get back to the foot of the cross, plead for forgiveness and ask for a changed heart.

I guess that's human pride. We have to feel we add something and grace is just too radical, polar opposite to the way our society works. And it's just so hard to grasp.

But more than that grace is the one thing the devil wants the non-christian not to grasp becuase it will radically transform their life and grace is the one thing the devil wants the christian not to grasp becuase it will radically transform our lives and make us more effective in gospel ministry and overflowing with joy and peace.

13 Comments:

At 12:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

I know some fantastic sermons (that are REALLY worth listening to) on grace ;)...ya know...from my church...not wanting to seem prideful to be part of MY church or anything...ya know...

 
At 1:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh the Gunster
he rocks

GA

 
At 2:08 pm, Blogger Ant said...

Good stuff Bec.

Nat - I will have to go listen to TG's grace series. I've been doing Oakwood during these last couple of weeks...

(And who, me wonders, is GA? Tim's secret fan!)

 
At 2:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a secret fan - an all out fan of both Tim and Philippa. They were fantastic to me when I was at woodlands
Alix

 
At 3:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a church leader called Gunny
Who told lots of jokes and was funny
His sermons were like honey (to my ears)
And...I'm really busy and need to do some work...what the heck am I doing on this Blog again!? AhhRRRrrRR....

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

I guess guilt comes paired with grace. All the things you're annoyed with are just as right (i.e. despairing of sin / working towards holiness) as coming to God and not prolonging that guilt because you are saved by grace! At least thats the impression I've got from reading 1 John over the past few weeks.

I don't think its human pride though - not totally anyway. Some of it is undoubtedly! We're not saved yet!

I can't remember what the term is when you illustrate the potentness of something with its opposite. Surely our guilt brought before God merely makes grace so much more 'amazing'?!?

That might be more pride - to think we don't need to be at least a bit guilty! Even more pride would be to remain feeling guilty.

There's that really cool song - 'Thank you for saving me, what can I say?...Great is the Lord we cry...Thank you for saving me'...

(I won't sing it to you - but I bet my Promethean board could at school)

 
At 8:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ant,

Hmmm...For some reason, I thought that Oakwood were going to have their sermons placed online too?

*taps his finger on the table*

Nat

 
At 12:39 am, Blogger Ant said...

Nat - that was...and is tha plan. I think we have what you might call... logistical difficulties.

It will come.

There's a bit of a Derby invasion going on on this blog!

 
At 7:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DerbyES - haha!

 
At 11:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA!!! Derbyes!!! The city where you can...

Can what? What d'you want me to do Derby?

I distinctly remember, in our first year, having a whale of a time at this campaign's expense.

 
At 4:54 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

I don't know what you're talking about...:(

you're on MY blog having private conversations...*sulks in corner and sheds a little tear.* ;(

 
At 9:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DerbyES - the city where you can study at one of the worst universities in the UK - ha ha!!!

Sorry, my love...just thank the Lord that you only had to live in Derby for one year!

I'm off to read the X of Xst!

 
At 12:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still maintain that they should have gone for the moto "Derby peak of the midlands" not Derbyes!. Mine has so much more depth, so many more levels....
I feel I ought to come up with a slogan for Golders Green
*off to think hard and still not do much of the work which is towering in front of me"

Al

 

Post a Comment

<< Home