Tuesday, December 06, 2005

listen to my voice

today i read psalm 81 and something really struck me deep in my soul.

God's sadness, God's hurt at His people's rejection

"In distress you called, and I delievered you;
I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
I tested you at the waters of Meribah...
...I am the LORD your God,
who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it." (v7,10)

God resuces his people, he lifts them up and brings them out of Egypt. In their distress he answered them.

This term I've struggled. Distressed. Feeling in a secret place of thunder. And God is always there, lifting and satisfying. He calls 'Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.'

The psalmist goes on..."But my people did not listen to my voice..."
And this is a refrain that's repeated. Despite help, despite all that God does at times I act and think like He's done nothing at all. I stop listening, I put my spiritual fingers in my spiritual ears and sing 'la la la la'.

And it makes God sad.

And it's gutting to think that I give God that little respect and awe and adoration. BEcuase he deserves it and I owe him my life. Yet my toddler attitude makes me lie down in the middle of the room and have a tantrum.

And the last verse? It fully socks me one right in the depths.
"But he would feed you with the finest of the wheat,
and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."

I deserve to have God put his fingers in his ears and sing la la la for despite all he's done that's what I give him. And yet he goes on wanting to satisfy and love and be my father.

Stop looking to other places. Stop walking away and singing la la la. Drink deep and feast.

Little child. You stubborn fool. wipe the tears, give over the anger come back to your father and take of the good things.

2 Comments:

At 10:29 am, Blogger Nathan said...

Awesome. That's me in a nutshell: throwing my toys out of the pram even though I rely on Him for my every breath. Lots to think about there...

 
At 11:46 am, Blogger Kath said...

it's strange how someone i don't know can sum up everything in my brain so well... i guess us humans are wired pretty similar after all.. anyway it's kind of nice to know that I'm not the only one... in a tantrum mode at the moment, this post may help to get my head sensible again...thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home