Wednesday, January 12, 2005

i have an allergy

The advent of Sunday arrived...after spending about two weeks by myself in the flat on and off through the holiday, finally all my flat mates came home. Mixed emotions for Margot who is from Thailand and had alot of friends and family caught up in the tsunami but are all ok and her best friend's mum died too. Margot had quite a holiday. And for Megs who is from the States but has finally made the decision to transfer here for the rest of her degree leaving behind a long time man. But she's made the right decision. There were other stories from the holidays and resolutions to go running to together and get healthy. With Megs came a big pack of 'Big Red' for me which is cinnamon gum you can only get in the States. Whilst in Colombia, I developed an obsession for it.

I popped a piece in my mouth, allowing that refreshing yet tingly cinammon feeling to reach my taste buds. But it was a little too tingly. By yesterday morning, and 4 pieces of gum later I woke up with swollen lips, tongue and lots of little white marks all inside my mouth. It felt like someone had punched me and ripped all the skin out. Today, thw swelling has more or less gone down but it still hurts like crazy. It toook me half an hour to eat a piece of toast. so there we are, that's my allergy. It happened in Colombia too only wortse. I couldn't eat or talk but I thought that was water or fruit or weird food or something. But no, I am allergic to cinammon chewing gum.

Which is strange becuase I'm not allergic to cinammon and I'm not allergic to chewing gum. But the combination is lethal. Maybe I should start carrying an epi pen in case someone accidently brushes me with a piece...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home