Sunday, January 08, 2006

yup, so it's foolishness

RAAAAAA...what a great passage. Pod reminded me of it and I read it last night and then Kath also reminded me of it today. Thanks guys. I choose to believe this stuff. And I praise God for it, even if I don't understand it half the time!! It doesn't need any Becci commentry - God's powerful word speaks for itself.

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”


20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. 22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, [2] not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being [3] might boast in the presence of God. 30 He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
1 Corithians 1:18-31

6 Comments:

At 5:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schaeffer would say don't run away from the academic intellectual challenges, using these verses as a get out clause, but get into the academic debate, and look for the holes, for after all, all perspectives that set themselves up against the gospel have a hole somewhere. We don't need to run away and say,'This is craziness, but we believe it anyway' we need to say, 'Where are the holes?' How can we demonstrate greater intellecutal rigor by pulling them open and letting the light in.

Tom

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

I never said I was running away. But what I need is God's perspective on my struggles too.

I can still engage brain and engage with the argument whilst being comforted that when I speak the gosepl the whole of heaven backs me up even if I don't have all the arguments to thwart the academics all the time.

At the end of the day, I'm not a genius and I can only understand and engage as much as I can. I can do my best. But this essay is stressing me out becuase I want to do better than that. I want to have the answers becuase I feel so much is at stake. So much is riding on it. At the end of the day, God is bigger than that. No, that doesn't deny the place of apologetics, absoutley not, but it does call for my humility to say that I can't do everything.

 
At 6:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welldone Becci, that's a really sensible attitude...

I do agree with much of what Tom has said - but you can only do what you can do...sometimes the holes are real diffifcult to find. That's not to say that they're not there because they are. They just take a little longer and may take a little more energy to find than you have right now!

My dear friend, do your best in the time that you have knowing, in full assurance, that you're not, 'running away'.

 
At 7:02 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

yup, i agree, thanks pod.

 
At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, well done for your engagement so far. Actually, you have really encouraged me by it. I hope I'm not raising the bar impossibly, rather than giving you hope that there is a way through any contra-gospel intellectual barrier, that is more intellecutal viable as well as more personally satisfying.

Keep up the good work.

Tom

 
At 10:14 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

Thanks bro!
:>)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home