Wednesday, November 23, 2005

questions...

Whilst trying to get my head round whether experience can be a valid basis for knoweldge I have been thinking and pondering upon some other questions and let my imagiation take me to some places.

What would a conversation between the Apostle Paul and Foucault look like? Apparently Paul was great at Philosophy, or so Acts tells us. What would he have said? How would he have argued with him? Where would he have started? I reckon Paul would have finally socked him with the gospel, then shook the sand off his feet and walked on.

Now, a show down between God and Fouacault would be very cool to watch. In fact, I guess it's already happened. I doubt Foucualt said very much. He would have had that philosopher's mouth eating the dirt. My imagination serves as a warning to me. One day we will all face God. I'm safe, Jesus says so, but how in awe of God am I now? Am I face down?

I've also been questioning the notion of confession recently. Here's an interesting question...when I was a little younger someone in my churhc apologised to one of my friends for all the bad thoughts and feelings he'd been having about him. That blew me away. And for some reason, in recent months, this memory has resurfaced. There have been a few times recently when a couple fo things I ahve said and done, which, the person about whom, would never have known, have so stirred my conscience that I have actively confessed stuff to them. A dear brother in Christ has had this expereince of being a weirdo twice now and it's impressed him. I don't know what it would have done to our friendship though. I did the same thing to a couple of my housemates and they just told me i was a freak. love, friendhsip means we say stuff at times out of frustration that others will never know about and we don't need to tell them, let alone apologise.

I dunno, what do u think? Is this apologising gone one step too far? Or could be considered keeping 'short accounts'...? Maybe it depends on the situation. I think at times it's useful and at times its risky and maybe just self centred. Hmmm..I wonder what the apostle Paul would say if I asked him. I havent had time to check all this out Biblically and no verses spring to mind, otehr than the general, sorting things out with your brother, type verses.

okay, back to the essay.

8 Comments:

At 10:30 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

Ask Tim Bulmer...!

 
At 10:33 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

er...why?
whats your opinion?

 
At 12:28 pm, Blogger Nathan said...

Hello there! You probably don't know me but my name's Nathan and I'm a Relay worker in London (friends with Simeon who you probably know). Anyhoo I came across your blog from Dave Bish and it's really good. I know it's a bit wierd but this post really got me thinking so I gave you a big shout-out on my blog today if you wanted to give it a look! Take care and keep up the good work!

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

He and Dad spent ages teaching me me one thing

Never ever apologise!

 
At 4:19 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

thats utter crap surely? apologising is a biblical concept

 
At 6:29 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

Forgiveness is a biblical concept. Apologising (if you can call it that) to God I would say is right.

Everything else should be total utter honesty, then... I think the point Dad makes is, then there's no need to apologise. If you are apologising then something else needs fixing. Worked for their marriage anyhow! Certainly worked for him at work.

Although this isn't related to your situation, certainly I never apologise to children.

 
At 9:50 pm, Blogger becci brown said...

that actually almost makes me angry

if youve hurt someone or done somthing wrong, apologise. full stop.

im sure theres a verse that says, if you have wronged your brother go make it right with him...?

if someone has hurt me i do everythig in power to forgive without an apology but if they apoligse then everything is a whole different story.

 
At 11:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree Bec...

And Daniel, i'm a bit hot under the collar here about your comment on children... please don't devalue kids...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home