Monday, May 23, 2005

health update health update health update

gosh im boring. i'm resorting to health updates. back in january i wrote about my gall stones. turns out i dont have gall stones. just an anonymous pain, that doesn't seem to want to identify itself.

on sunday over a BBQ....(hmmm...) i was chatting to simeon who ahd asked for a health update. in walks Umesh, 3rd year medical student: 'Sounds like you have gall stones, becci.'
me: 'Ah but I don't you see. Apparently, my ultrasounds said I was fine as were the rest of my organs.'
Umesh: 'are they giving you further tests on your stomach and bowel.'
Me: 'Yes, in August.'
Umesh: 'I hope it's nothing serious.'

hmmm yeah, thanks.

Later on Umesh is telling us about his 'empathy classes' he has, to improve bedside manner and also how to deal with diffiuclt situations, like telling someone they have cancer. We decide to role play.

(in role) I enter the doctor's surgery 'Morning doctor Umesh'
(in role)Umesh: 'we have your test results, I'm afraid they aren't good. You have Bowel cancer.'
(OUT of role) Umesh: OH, I'm sorry Becci, that's really bad, becuase you actually could have.'

GULP...??!! My, that made me feel good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home